Translate

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Toyworld's Hegemon AKA Megatron

For those of you who went and purchased Toyworld's Orion, you know that one cannot own a Commander Convoy (Optimus Prime) without having his main nemesis nearby to constantly challenge him and provoke him to selfless acts of sacrifice... and rebirth.

Enter Toyworld with their portrayal of the evil Destron (or Decepticon) leader christened Hegemon (gotta catch 'em all!!!).

The term Hegemon is Greek hēgemonia, from hēgemōn leader, from hēgeisthai to lead. And now you know, and knowing is... OK enough with the bad humour, let's get on with it.

To be fair I never got G-1 Megatron. How is it that a giant robot that mass shifts into a hand gun supposed to be menacing? He can't even fire himself!!! (should have had a giant Napoleon Solo). Still gotta admit this is a cool toy.

Hegemon is probably one of the best G-1 iterations of Megatron to date (although I am still waiting for Xtransbots - MX-I Apollyon). The figure is a faithfully accurate portrayal of the maniacal Destron leader in robot mode and is a decent, if somewhat stylized facsimile of a German Walther P-38.

As per standard laws pertaining to replica firearms the figure comes with an orange tip... that is easily removable. Mine got lost so I no longer am able to wave it around above my head in public.

But I kid...

One of the things about this guy for me personally is that he looks better than the horrendously expensive, oversized Masterpiece offering from Takara. I don't own that version of Megatron and I have no intention to judging from the research that I've done. That being said both Orion and Hegemon are considered undersized by Masterpiece collectors measuring in at about 19 cm or Voyager size to the Transformer community (I think that Masterpieces are called Leader class. I don't know, I don't follow those size classifications).

Size comparisons.
Alt Mode:
Walther P-38.
Open channel "D".
Beside G-1 Megatron
Big!!!

Transformation is a bit tricky in that the figure has a lot of loose ball joints that seem to get looser over time they still hold together but one finds themselves with many disconnected pieces in hand when switching from one mode to another. Once transformation is achieved everything seems stable enough. To be fair this was Toyworld's first figure but a lot of weird transforming choices were made during it's design phase. While the front looks great the back is littered with kibble.
Junk in the trunk!!!
Orion is a much more if too solid offering.

Robot Mode:
Beside himself!!!
Sharing the spotlight.
I have the power!!!
Fan mod cannon.
One shall stand, one shall fall!!!

As a side note if the sample I have seems a little bit more decorative than others seen in production photos it's because of some additional reprolabels that I applied to my figure.

In the end I applaud Toyworld for delivering a stunning version of G-1 Megatron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment